Gifts of Securities
A gift of appreciated securities, such as stocks, bonds, and mutual funds, may provide a significant benefit to you as a donor as well as support the mission of the IEEE Foundation. Here's how it works.
By donating appreciated securities that you have held for at least one year, you:
- Avoid the capital gains taxes on the "paper profits"
- Are entitled to a charitable income tax deduction on the full fair value of the asset
- May use the deduction, up to 30%, of your adjusted gross income in the year of the gift, and you can carry forward any unused deductions for the next five years.
- Support a charitable activity that advances technology and education.
If the security you wish to donate has decreased in value, it is normally better from a tax perspective to sell the stock, take the capital loss on your tax return, and make the gift with the cash proceeds.
Making the Gift
There are two ways to make a donation of securities: by Physical Delivery or through an Electronic Transfer Authorization. Be sure to notify us of your decision.
If you have the physical securities, you may deliver them in person, by registered mail, or by courier to the address below. Be sure to include the following:
- Security certificate(s) without any endorsement, assignment, or other notations
- A letter stating the purpose of the gift
- In a separate envelope, mail a stock/bond power endorsed in black; make sure to fill in the line requiring your signature. Your name should appear exactly as it does on the face of the certificate(s). If possible, include a copy of the letter you sent with your certificate(s).
Electronic Transfer Authorization
Your broker can electronically transfer your securities to the IEEE Foundation. In writing you must notify your bank or broker that you wish to make a gift/transfer of ____ (number of) shares of ______________ (name of security or securities) to the IEEE Foundation. Your broker should contact the IEEE Development Office (see below) to obtain a copy of the electronic transfer instructions.
Notify the IEEE Foundation
Gifts of stock are transferred anonymously into the IEEE Foundation's brokerage account. In order to more quickly acknowledge gifts of this kind, we need your assistance! Please send a copy of your authorization letter to Michael Deering, at the address below. Alternatively, you can notify the IEEE Foundation by telephone at +1 732 562 3915 or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The value of your gift will be the average of the high and low trading prices on the day which you relinquish control of the security. In the case of electronic transfer authorization, it is the day on which the transfer occurred into the IEEE Foundation account, not the day you instructed your broker to make the transfer, or the day on which the stock was sold. In the case of physical delivery, it is the date on the postmark for mailing, or the day of in person delivery.
For more information, or to hold a confidential discussion, please contact:
Director of Development
IEEE Development Office
445 Hoes Lane
Piscataway, NJ 08854, U.S.A.
Phone: +1 732 562 3915
The information on this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal, tax or investment advice. If you are considering a gift of securities to the IEEE Foundation, we highly recommend you consult with your own tax and legal advisors to determine the best options for you.